The Rules of Conduct (also known as just rules) are guidelines by which players should act in games. There are rules in all of Jagex's games and the rules are the same for all games. Breaking rules may result in getting black marks, which in turn can lead to mutes and/or bans. For a full list of rules and explanations, click here.
The rules are split into three categories: Honour, Respect and Security. There is also an FAQ on the website. The rules are.
Players should not cheat or take part in dishonest behaviour. Therefore, the following is not permitted.
- Macroing, and use of bots or third-party software
- Real-world trading, or buying power-levelling
- Ratings transfers
- Buying, selling or sharing an account
- Knowingly exploiting a bug
- Jagex staff impersonation
- Password, account, bank PIN or item scamming
- Advert blocking – (the adverts pay for the games you play)
- Encouraging others to break the rules
Every member of RuneScape is entitled to respect and players should honour this. Therefore, the following is not permitted.
- Discrimination of any kind, whether based on another player's race, nationality, gender, sexual orientation or religious beliefs
- Threatening another player, or bullying of any kind
- Using obscene or inappropriate language
- Spamming, or disruptive behaviour
- Misuse of the forums
The personal security of RuneScape players should never be compromised. Therefore, the following is not permitted.
- Asking for or providing personal information such as full names, ages, postal or email addresses, telephone numbers or bank details
- Discussing or advocating illegal activity of any kind, such as the use of illegal drugs
- Advertising other websites
The RuneScape website has an FAQ on what is/is not acceptable and reporting other players on their Rules page.
If a player breaks a rule, they should be reported. There are different ways to report players. In RuneScape and FunOrb (and probably Stellar Dawn), there is a report abuse button. When this button is pressed, there is a space to type in the offenders user name and the option to select a rule broken. The report is then sent to Jagex to be processed with appropriate action being taken. On 11 May 2009, Jagex announced plans to make changes to in game reporting.
On both Forums, there is a sticky named 'I Need a Mod - Forum Emergencies'. Serious offences can be reported here to be dealt with by the Forum Moderators. Non-serious offences may not be reported and will be dealt with when a Moderator comes across them.